Friday, 28 October 2011

Trees

I've been out and about looking at trees. Now,that may seem slightly sad or make me rather strange (or both and no, I don't hug trees) but I'm always amazed by the shapes that trees form as they grow and what makes them grow the way they do. 



Man made.



A beautiful silhouette at sunset.



Half of this trunk is dead and rotted away and yet still lives.


The apple tree in the field next to our house.  This dead branch housed a hornets nest last year.


Roots and ivy


Not quite sure how this stays upright, it's about 60 foot tall and thriving, despite most of the roots being exposed and leaning more than the tower at Pisa!


Tunnel forming hazel wood 

A branch from this beech tree (one of the largest in the wood), came down earlier this year.  This photo doesn't do it justice.  I'm surprised we didn't hear it, it's enormous and must have made a huge thud as it landed.  It took out two other trees as it landed too.  Lots of firewood.


This is where the branch was attached.  It must have fallen through the two branches.


Some trees appear to be watching you!



Very spooky!


Hornets nest apple tree, took another battering this year when a big branch laden with apples came down in windy weather.  The rotting apples in the field smelled like a cider brewery.


A rotten piece of apple wood.

Until next time......

Lesley
x

7 comments:

  1. Hi...glad it worked for you, a real pain the new layout has been for people
    Thank you for still popping by and glad you enjoy my ramblings hehe
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing trees in exposed places which have been blown to one side by the wind, and they continue to grow that way, fascinating. I often see faces in trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, nature is a great designer isn't she? Some of my most favourite photos of snaps I've taken of tree bark. I like the way you've focussed on the trees architecture in your pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesley,
    It was lovely to meet you on Saturday...thank you for stopping-by my stall at the fair. I hope you enjoyed your day.

    Your photos of trees are wonderful...My favourite time is spring, when their feet can be covered by a carpet of bluebells.

    Have a great week,
    Niki :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes some of these trees do seem to have faces, what a shame about the Hornet's Nest Apple Tree.Lovely pics as usual Lesley. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trees are amazing arent they? Its so easy to take them for granted without really seeing them and when you stop and focus on them like you have, you realise just how wonderful they are.
    I love this time of year best with the leaves turning all sorts of wonderful colours.
    Great photos as usual, thanks for sharing them Lesley.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi...Thanks it is very exciting but going to be hard work
    Just hope l can do it justice...I'll give it my best at least
    Hugs Sue x

    ReplyDelete