Friday, 8 July 2011

Cupcakes and Potatoes


Where does the time go to?  I seem to have neglected my blog for too long.  I've just been busy doing everything, nothing, bit of hooky, gardening and trying my hand at applique. (Oh and all the other really rather boring stuff too).


I decided to make a cushion, 60 x 60 cm.

My cup cakes didn't lie quite as flat as I hoped.  I used vilene on the back to help strengthen the lilac checked fabric but it still puckered around the edges.  Does anyone know how I stop that happening?  I think the tension on my machine was ok.  If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.


I made four of them.


Then put some sashing on, in purple and then the border.


This is the finished top piece, just need to do the rest now.

These are the first potatoes from the garden.  I cooked them with some mint, really yummy!


Until next time........

Lesley
x

8 comments:

  1. Love the cushion!!

    You can get some iron on stabiliser that is firm and paper-like that you put on the back of the fabric before appliqué/machine embroidery.

    Here are a selection: http://www.lordsewing.co.uk/stabilisers-24-c.asp

    HTH

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fab make, well done! Thought I was already following you but somehow I wasn't (I am now!) Carolyn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lesley!
    Sorry havent visited for a while, but seem to have been too busy to either blog or go blog hopping!
    Love the cupcake applique! So pretty!Its going to look lovely when its all finished, the fabrics are lovely.
    Did you use the double-sided iron-on vilene for the applique shapes? That should make the applique pieces flat,firm and non-fraying, and easier to handle, and you then peel off the vilene backing and iron them straight onto your background fabric and it usualy keeps the whole lot smooth and flat before stitching round your shapes.
    Maybe the backing fabric wasnt thick/stable enough? Some ginghams can be thin, especially the cotton/polyester ones - the 100% cotton ones are usually thicker.
    If your tension was ok, and it certainly looks beautifully neat, then Im not sure what else it could be.
    How wonderful to eat your own potatoes! Yum!
    Congrats on doing the linky thing - took me a while to suss it out properly the other day!
    Thanks for displaying my Giveaway button, and
    have a great week Lesley
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your blog and it is sooo pretty - all lilacs and purples and pinks. From the font colour, the background, the fabrics, the flower pictures - delightful! OK - the badgers stand out a bit, but they can't help that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi..love the cupcakes, going to be a wonderful cushion
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks wonderful! And the potatoes look FABLAS - be you they were as tasty as anything!

    I cannot sew. I am useless at the crafts side of things.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cushion is going to look lovely when it's finished, gorgeous colours. We're eating home grown potatoes here too, delicious. I've grown Arran pilot this year and I'm really pleased with them, they have a lovely taste, especially smothered in butter and mint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lesley!
    Just popped over to say hi!
    Hope all well with you and yours
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete