Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Hi everyone, hope you're all well?

It's been a strange couple of months.  The Col is away for a while and Tilly and I are home alone!  I don't mind my own company and can easily find things to do, so no time to get bored.  But where does the time disappear to?  I never have enough hours in the day to get normal stuff done, let alone any sewing or quilting.  I think I'll have to put aside a day to do something I really enjoy and tell everyone I'm not available.  My Mum always says that as you get older that time seems to speed up.  It's happening to me!!!!  

I had got a plan that while The Col is away I'd paint two bedrooms, the study and get the kitchen redone.

I've done nothing!

Absolutely nothing!

Clearly, I need to give myself a kick and get on with these things.

Trouble is, with the kitchen, I don't really know what I'd like to replace the cabinets with.  Do I go for a modern, contemporary look, the cottage/farmhouse look or maybe a more plain and simple Shaker type?  I have a good sink and taps which I want to reuse.  My electric hob is perfectly useable and I like it.  I did think about just changing the cupboard doors to save money but to be honest they've seen better days and the cupboard carcasses are more than a little tatty on the inside.  A new oven is needed as only half the grill works and I'm fairly sure that the thermostat in the oven has a mind of it's own and plays tricks with me, especially when I'm baking cakes.  I need to think hard about layout and what sort of cupboards I'd like.  I've always fancied having a proper larder, I think that's a thing from my childhood.  At the moment I have lots of little cupboards and they drive me nuts. You can never find or see anything, so definitely won't be having anything small.  Of course, there's always the concern of who to do the work.  I could go to Ikea, Wicks, Homebase etc.  Then there's the small, local, independent company or someone who would just come and fit whatever you buy...... gosh! so much to think about.  Watch this space! 

On the sewing front, I did make a cosy for an iPad.  It was for a good friend and she loves it.  The pattern came from; actually I'm not sure where I got the pattern but suffice to say, it's not my design and I should give credit to whoever the design belongs to, if only I knew!


We had a beautiful sunset the other day.




Hope the rest of the week is good for you.
Lesley
x

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley, welcome back!

    I know, its scary how the days just pass, you are busy every day and yet still never find time to start those bigger jobs!

    Kitchens are a big thing to decide on arent they? Im like you, i like so many different styles I would find it hard to choose now.
    Although I would probably end up playing safe going for something fairly plain and classic which wouldnt date!

    Have fun deciding what to do!

    Love the little case you made, the colours are lovely and the fancy stitching detail looks great - i bet your friend is pleased!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill, like you, fairly plain and classic is probably the way it will happen. Lesley x

      Delete
  2. Lots to think about with regards to the kitchen before you even think about the other rooms. Maybe a wander through Pinterest or a trip to the Interior design bookshelf of the library will help you focus on what style you really like.
    Enjoy your days!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the kitchen decision making! It's the same in our house - we could do with a new kitchen but whilst George, our cocker - still chews the drawer handles it is pointless having a new kitchen as he would start destroying it straight away!
    June

    ReplyDelete