Thursday, 15 March 2012

Successful Stollen and Cushions

Hope this post finds you all well?

On Fridays I get together with a group of ladies who quilt.  Some weeks not a lot is done but a lot is said and sometimes we're quiet and lots gets done.  I always try to make some biscuits or a cake.  This week, I've made stollen.  Now, I realise it's not exactly Christmas but I've been trying to make stollen for years without much luck as I always seem to make something that resembles a BRICK!  Today, (and I'm not sure why), I seem to have made stollen, not a brick but a soft, fruity, marzipany, spiced bread. At last, a successful stollen. Just hope the ladies won't mind something Christmassy in March.  


I couldn't resist having a small piece, just to make sure it wasn't a brick and to straighten the end up, you understand. 

Also this week, My Mum gave me a couple of patchwork panels, fabric and piping for two cushions she'd never finished.  The quilting was done but they had been sitting in a cupboard for years and she asked if I'd finish them for her.  


I thought the black bits in the centre circles were stylised japanese flowers or something.  Only when I inadvertently had one of them the right way up and I was stood back looking at them, I realised it was meant to be a map of the world!  Then the words made sense too. Duh!!!!  


Her quilting is perfect.  Beautiful even stitches and right on the line too.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mums out there.  Hope you get thoroughly spoiled this weekend.

Lesley
x










5 comments:

  1. Wow Lesley! It looks delicious.

    You have me feeling festive now! It's only MARCH!

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Martin, that wasn't the intent. It is yummy though.

      Delete
  2. That looks good! I dont think you'll get any complaints from your fellow quilters!

    Clever Mum, the patchwork is beautifully done.
    Hope you enjoy your quilting group tomorrow!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the stollen went down well with your friends!
    Lovely sentiment in those words on the cushions, we can only hope.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stollen! Share your secret for making such a handsome and un-bricklike loaf. I usually have the same problem you previously had.
    Sanda

    ReplyDelete