| The burnt bits |
In all the years I've been making my Christmas cake, I've never burnt it. This year I excelled myself. Firstly, I was very late getting around to making it, it is only fourteen days until Christmas. Normally, I would have got it all sorted in November. Secondly, I haven't a clue what I was thinking when I put the cake in the oven and put the timer on for four hours. I never cook it for that long, I have a fan oven, after all. Nevertheless, I put the timer on and at the four hour point, took a peak expecting it to need yet more time! It probably cooked to perfection in about three hours but somehow I got it in my head it was going to need more. I quickly need to add here that The Col and I didn't even smell burnt cake!!!! I took the cremated cake out of the oven and realised what I'd done. I've now chopped the burnt bits off and the middle is absolutely fine. It's going to be a slightly smaller cake than usual but soaked in brandy, it'll be the booziest cake I've ever made.
On a more successful note, Tilly and I were out in the frosty weather and took the photos below. I imagine only Narnia is as beautiful. It was so still and quiet, absolutely fabulous.
Have a brilliant weekend, whatever you're doing.
Thanks for dropping by. See you soon.
Lesley




These photos are marvellous - love the frost tipped ones. Your dog looks like she enjoyed it all.
ReplyDeleteLove the story of your burnt xmas cake!!! I never even got round to making one!!!